Stellar Girls activities exemplify Next Generation Science Standards and Common Core State Standards. Activities are woven into 20 hour-and-a-half long lessons that provide authentic problem contests and student-centered investigations. Each Stellar Girls site receives materials and supplies for up to four units each year. Each unit is comprised of five hands-on activiites. Stellar girls lessons are led by coaches from educational and community organizations. EDUCATE provides training for coaches on each lesson during a series of intense hands-on workshops.
The goals of the program are to:
- Develop coaches’ abilities to connect with girls about STEM
- Improve girls’ curiosity, self-efficacy, and content knowledge in science and math
- Build students’ awareness of exciting careers in STEM-based industries
- Stellar Girls serves a diverse group of students including high needs schools.
- >600 girls have participated in Stellar Girls since 2011
- Stellar Girls participants achieve significant gains in science and math content averaging 14 percentage points from pre- to post-test.
- Volunteers from STEM industires help provide visibilty to exciting STEM careers.
- 26 schools and an estimated 400 girls are participating in the 2015-2016 program.